Saturday, March 29, 2008

Hiking up Box Canyon!

Yesterday Alex and I, along with his three friends John, Suzie, and Stacie, went hiking up Box Canyon. It was covered in ice which made it quite slippery and dangerous, but it was gorgeous and fun anyways! We were worried that some of those icicles were going to fall on our head.
This is us inside a cave made primarily of ice. The trek to get to the cave was exciting because snow kept giving way and we'd end up up to our knees in snow. :)
This view is looking directly up! There were drops of rain trickling down the rocks, a light snow, and lots of fog. It was very pretty.This is looking out of a cave at the fog. It was complete rock climbing to get up to this cave (and on parts of the trail), luckily there were two strong boys who could be on top pulling, and on bottom guiding my feet!
Here is a cool ice slide! It was pretty intense.
There is a really cool waterfall at the end of the trail and apparently there are ropes there so you can climb up it. I preferred just pretending to climb it and leaving dangerous crazy stuff to the boys. There was a different part of the trail where we had to climb up a rope, though. I'm not good at that kind of thing, but because of my ingenious techniques and thinking skills I devised a plan for how they could help me up. It worked!! And I made it to the waterfall. Very worth it. It was fun.

Here's another pretty view of the canyon!

I think it would be a lot easier to hike this canyon in the summer when there is no snow and ice, but it sure made it pretty. I made it out with one scraped arm, one bruised knee, and a really sore everything. Today I feel like I can't even walk or lift my arms at all. Worth the pain though. Muchas fun. I would do it again any day!

5 comments:

angel said...

Whoa! Sounds like a fun adventure! Neat pictures!
It was so fun having you here. Thanks for coming! We love you!

Lori Thornbrue said...

Wow, that was pretty, but it looks like it was also pretty dangerous. I am glad you had fun and are safe.

Allie Thornbrue said...

Oh, your pictures are fantastic. And so is your man. Go, girl.

Michaelangelo said...

Hold the phone! Was that Maple Canyon's box canyon? Sure looks like it. Awesome pictures! Glad you made it up and down safely :)

Lloyd Family said...

Very beautiful pictures. That looks like a lots of fun.